Breast milk is loaded with so many goodness for your little one! From proteins, fatty acids, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals, hormones, and antibodies that get passed down from mama to baby naturally.
One of the biggest factors in the quality of milk that Mom is making is from their diet. However, recent studies have found that consuming probiotic supplements as early as the first trimester of pregnancy and throughout the entire time that you are breastfeeding can help moms maintain a healthy gut and the probiotics can also be being passed on to baby. Making this a win/win for all breastfeeding moms!
Probiotics are good bacteria that primarily line your gut and are responsible for nutrient absorption and help to boost your immune system. This happens because probiotics are able to restore the natural balance of gut bacteria. If there is an imbalance in your gut it means that there are too many bad bacteria and that can show up as bloating and abdominal pain.
Probiotic health benefits for BABY and MAMA
You can get your daily dose of probiotics through your diet or by supplements. Babies can also pick up naturally occurring bacteria from their moms during delivery through the birth canal.
Probiotics for baby can help with:
- Irregular or abnormal stools and diarrhea: probiotics can improve the stool consistency in infants and adults alike and will help with constipation.
- Prevent colic: Somewhere around 1 in 5 babies suffer from colic, which is is caused by an inflamed gut. The good bacteria in probiotics are known to fight the inflammation and help treat and prevent colic.
- Strengthen immune system: by increasing the good bacteria in your newborn’s diet it can help their immune system mature faster which can help prevent illnesses.
- Diaper rash: probiotics can help prevent a small infection like a diaper rash from occurring and can help a child with an existing rash recover faster.
- Acid reflux – probiotics help the body digest food more quickly and efficiently which leaves the stomach emptier and less likely to suffer from acid reflux.
- Produces vitamin B: vitamin B is important for your little one as it helps with their metabolism, prevents anemia, and helps keep their skin healthy and smooth.
And the benefits of probiotics for the mother are equally as impressive:
- Digestion: good gut flora can treat and prevent many digestive issues and probiotics provides good bacteria that will improve your gut flora and help with digestion.
- Immune system: just like with newborns, probiotics will help support a healthy immune system.
- Reducing nausea: Nausea can be caused by a number of things including irritation of the gut lining. Irritation of the gut lining causes it to release signaling molecules such as histamine which is sensed by the brain. Taking probiotics may provide relief by reducing irritation and inflammation and help you feel less nauseated
SOURCES of probiotics
Probiotics are usually found in fermented foods or taken as supplements. Foods like yogurt, kefir, tempeh, kimchi, miso, and kombucha all contain naturally occurring probiotics and are a great way to get it into your diet.
Booby Boons+ Probiotic includes bake-safe GanadenBC30 probiotic in our lactation cookies. This is an excellent source of probiotics for pregnant and nursing mothers and their babies. We use GanadenBC30 probiotic which contains cultures that survive 10 times more effectively than yogurt cultures. For every serving of cookies (3 cookies) of Booby Boons+ Probiotics there are 1 billion CFU of probiotics.
Moms who consume Booby Boons+ Probiotic lactation cookies get a tasty treat that supports and enhances milk production with the added bonus of probiotics that provide immune and digestive support for both themselves and their baby.
No matter where you are getting your probiotics it’s a healthy choice you can make for you and baby.